Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The search for Chief Lucky Man's grave Part 2

In 1901 near the Milk River in northern Montana there were deaths from small pox among Cree refugees attending a sun dance. Among these people were Chief Lucky Man and a daughter, her name unknown. They were buried side by side in an old tradition still followed by their descendants, with head to the north and feet to the south. A black stone marked his grave and a small circle of stones marked her grave. They were in a cluster of seven graves. Mrs Windy Boy, a descendant of those buried here, would tell us ninety years later where to find the subtle signs of those we sought.
Several years earlier I had come to Rocky Boy Reservation in Montana seeking my Grandfather's history. I was raised with my family history and like my father shared a life long interest in oral history and archival research. I have found those who know their kinship also know their history. It was through my Montana relatives that I was welcomed and stories shared.
There is a spirit that goes with gifting. Gifting should be non-exploitive and beneficial to both the giver and receiver. Everyone should be happy in the end. I believe this happened during those memorable days.
I returned from my initial trip carrying information for those whose ancestor's graves were known to the Rocky Boy Cree. I approached the late Chief Roderick King of the Lucky Man First Nation. He was a direct descendant of Lucky Man and the Chief who eventually gained the land promised his ancestor over one hundred years before. He was very interested and requested the help of the late Eli Bear from Little Pine First Nation and an oscapeous ( assistant) to the late Jim Kahneepahtehtehow, a head Elder from Onion Lake First Nation.
The help of "Old Jim" proved invaluable. His father had been a ceremonialist in Big Bear's Band and Elder Kahneepahtehtehow knew his history and culture very well. He told us the time we lived in had been predicted a long time ago. In the prophecies a time would come for old things to return from the earth. The rediscovery of long ago ancestors was a part of this. We were instructed on the proper protocol for approaching the Elders of the Rocky Boy Cree and how to address the ancestors when we found their resting places. It was to be a gathering of families once scattered so long ago but now coming together with common purpose. It was a time to shed healing tears.
Chief King, Eli and I left Saskatoon in late May. We stayed in Swift Current overnight. During the night Chief King had an astonishing experience. He was visited by a ghost. He awoke in the middle of the night and saw a long ago Indian, tall with braided hair smiling at him. The apparition disappeared and Chief King slept peacefully through the rest of the night.
We gathered at Geneva and Bill Stump's place on Rocky Boy Reservation. I was saddened to learn, Four Souls, son of Little Bear and the head Elder of the Rocky Boy Cree had passed away. They said he met a beautiful death. He had gone with some people to the high mountain meadows to round up horses. Four Souls said he was tired and stayed behind. When the people returned he was missing. The eventually found him lying peacefully in a meadow filled with wildflowers. The people said this was a good way for a Cree man to die and there was no tragedy in a life well lived.
We presented our pipes and spiritual offerings to their Elders. Art Rainingbird was their spiritual leader and Chief King spoke on our behalf. Chief King's address was brief and emotional. He repeated the information I had provided him and requested their help in locating the grave of his ancestor. They accepted our pipes and offerings. We prayed and smoked together. They then agreed to help us, with concern the grave sites should remain undisturbed.
I noticed the women Elders spoke through Geneva Stump. She had been provided with a photograph they identified as Lucky Man. I had been told in order to find Lucky Man, I must first find his famous son in law Little Bear. The photograph they presented contained both. There was no photograph known to us of Chief Lucky Man until this moment. The tall man standing to the left of the photograph was the same long ago Indian who appeared in a vision to Chief King the night before. Perhaps one of the women is his daughter. We had found Lucky Man. Chief King cried.
We were taken to a place outside Havre Montana. I was shown the site of the 1901 sun dance. It was a good place. Nearby we were taken to a field of low rolling short grass prairie. The crocus were in bloom, the meadow larks were singing and the sky was a brilliant blue. Everything felt right.
Mrs. Windy Boy came here since she was a child. Her family tended ancestors graves in the spring of every year. They had shown her the site of Chief Lucky Man and his daughter's graves. She had always remembered and it was she who helped us. It was strange we never met her but her presence was definitely felt and appreciated through the intercession of Geneva Stump. She had told Geneva to look for a dip between two hills and then follow the dip down until we found a circle of stones. This was the grave of Lucky Man's daughter and next to it we would find a black stone, the grave of Lucky Man.
Chief King and Eli went off in separate directions looking for the two hills and the dip in between. I was about to search myself when Geneva told me to stay put. She had never been here herself but she clearly sensed something I didn't. She told me we should have a cigarette and talk about nothing in particular. Looking back now, I can see she was teaching me something. We smoked and engaged in idle conversation then she said, "Do you see it." I looked around but could not see the two hills and I told her so. "Look there" she said and pointed with her head. I looked again and then I saw it. The two hills were barely a ripple on the crest of a gradual grassy slope leading to the banks of the Milk River. Between them was a slight dip. I could have spent all day looking for it and never found it. It was a subtle mystery, barely discernable, yet there.
We followed the dip about ten feet and then found the circle of stones, pebbles of white shale in a rough circle barely eight inches across. This was Lucky Man's daughter's grave and next to it, barely four feet toward the river, a small black rock of shale barely the size of a man's palm, the grave of Lucky Man. My heart was beating fast and my skin felt prickly. We were on hallowed ground.
There wasn't much said and there wasn't any need to say very much at all. We made a sweet grass smudge and prayers were given as old Jim had instructed. We were to speak to the ancestors gently and lovingly. Again everything felt right. I shared a sweat with the Stumps that evening and left the next morning refreshed and at peace.
There are times I reflect on those moments, for something important and mysterious happened for us all. I often think of the daughter and how sad it is, the women are largely forgotten in the histories, yet it was the women who enabled us to find the hallowed ground. I wonder was it she, who at age six held the hand of her father as he sang crossing the Cypress Hills to safety? I also see them crossing safely hand in hand from this world to the bountiful Green Grass World, where there is no winter, no want and no suffering. I believe Chief King has joined them and all the others who were with us but have since passed on. The only ones alive today who worked together during that time are Geneva Stump and myself. There are many stories which are subtle and mysterious like the changing face of the Bear Paw mountains and I believe they are important because they tell us something of who we really are.

No comments: